Central Massachusetts is home to a wide range of manufacturing companies, including healthcare, industrial, and technology. Here are the five largest manufacturers in the region when ranked by number of local employees, according to surveys completed by the WBJ Research Department.
5. Medical device company Jabil has offices in Clinton and employs 1,270 people in Massachusetts. With a $27.26 billion revenue, the firm specializes in diabetes care, drug delivery, and injectables. Jabil, formerly known as Nypro, is also leasing space in an $85-million warehouse in Devens.
4. Saint-Gobain is a French industrial manufacturer with offices in Worcester. It has been in business since 1885 and employs 170,000 people. It reported $42 billion in revenue last year. Saint-Gobain partnered with Dell in April to sign a letter urging President Joe Biden to take action against climate change.
3. Milford-based Waters Corp. is an analytical science tech company founded in 1958. With 7,300 total employees, the company had nearly $2.4 billion in revenue in 2020. It developed a new coronavirus test for researchers to study the virus for future pandemic preparedness studies.
2. IPG Photonics Corp. is a fiber laser technology manufacturer with 6,200 employees globally and 1,700 locally. Headquartered in Oxford, the company was founded in 1990 and had a revenue of $1.2 billion last year. In August, IPG expanded with the $7.8-million purchase of its two Marlborough warehouses.
1. IT solutions company Dell Technologies, which has offices in Hopkinton, is the largest manufacturer in Central Massachusetts with 157,000 employees worldwide, 8,800 of whom are local. Dell clocked an annual revenue of $92.14 billion in 2020.